Monday, April 11, 2011

Rigatoni with Roasted Red Pepper and Black Olives

We had a great time visiting friends in Dallas over the weekend.  My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough.  But they will be coming here in a few months to stay with us.  Their oldest son will be starting college in the fall and he wants to look at the U of A.

It seems like just yesterday I was starting my first semester at the U of A.  College was so fun and exciting  and so full of possibilities! 

Luckily, I won't have to worry about college for my two for several more years.  The most pressing thought on their minds is what are we going to eat for supper!

Today was spent unpacking and putting away with very little thought to what I might feed my family.  It's times like this that I like to make simple, healthy meals with only 5 or 6 ingredients.

Rigatoni with Roasted Red Pepper and Black Olives
(inspired by this recipe)

1 Ib. Rigatoni pasta
3 c. garlic-flavored croutons (just buy your favorite)
1/4 c. slivered almonds, toasted
1 c. thinly sliced roasted red bell peppers
1/4 c. black olives, sliced
3/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

 Add the pasta  to a big pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl.
Place the croutons and the almonds in a food processor and pulse until it is combined and you have fine crumbs. Add the crouton mixture to the cooked pasta and stir until the pasta is well coated. Add the roasted red peppers, black olives and the olive oil. Toss and serve.


Enjoy.

amelia

3 comments:

  1. lol i was reading chopped olives and slivered almonds and thought gosh thats going to take some time... then saw that you pop them in food processor. Reminds me how bad I need to get one of those... or cook for that matter... one of the two :) hehehe this does look delicious though- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!

    When I read of U of A, I immediately thought you were talking about University of Arizona (I seemed to have missed the part about Dallas the first time)--I suppose that's because my brother went there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygoodness! I love the addition of the almonds and the croutons. That must taste wonderful. I had never though of adding that before. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Candace

    ReplyDelete