Monday, March 21, 2011

creamy orzo + green peas

I watch cooking channel way too much.

Cooking channel and Disney XD often fight for dominance at our house.

I won't tell you which one usually wins. :)


I made this creamy orzo after watching Kelsey's Creations.  She's a cute, spunky chef who is so tiny she doesn't look like she even eats food.  Sometimes genetics sucks.


I usually eat risotto as the main dish the day I make it.  Then, if I have any leftover I will add it to a salad the next day.

I love salads and try to eat salad as the main course for a least one meal a day.


Creamy orzo + green peas:

inspired by this recipe


2 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, diced
11/2 c. orzo
1/2 c. dry white wine (more to drink) ;)
3 c. vegetable stock
1 c. green peas
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. cashew cream
1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
salt and pepper to taste
fresh basil

in a medium sized pan saute diced onion in olive oil until soft and translucent. add orzo and toast for about two minutes.  slowly add the vegetable broth, stirring and adding until the liquid is almost gone and the pasta is al dente (this should only take about 10-15 minutes).

take off the heat and add the remaining ingredients. add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. Is orzo a breakfast food? Why not, right? Your food pictures are so wonderful - can you come over and take mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yummy! i love orzo and this sounds delightful!

    thanks for linking up to mangia mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics & recipe! I can almost taste the deliciousness :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so good! I love a good orzo and vegetable salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! We don't get cooking channel but we watch the Food Network religiously!

    I feel the same way about Giada, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I love orzo and those peas add such a nice pop of color to your dish. It looks like spring in a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. I am bookmarking this post right now-thanks you!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh looks super simple and yummy! Stopping by from Paisley Passions! Have a great weekend.

    Ally @ Tinywalletstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amelia,
    I just love a dish like this in the Spring. It just looks so fresh and delicious. You always make everything look so inviting! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum yum yum! can't wait to try this!

    as you can see i'm able to leave comments today~yippee!!

    ReplyDelete